J. Munuera, Barcelona/ES
E. Kotter, Freiburg/DE
J. Munuera, Barcelona/ES
All ESOR 2023 Foundation Courses are included in the ESR Premium Education Package 2023, which provides access to numerous educational services such as Education on Demand, Eurorad, and content on ESR Connect.
For more details, please visit the ESR Premium Education Package Area
ONLY for Live Streaming CME accreditation
The course has been granted
5 European CME credits (ECMEC®s) by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME), which is an institution of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS), www.uems.eu.
Certificates with CME credits will be issued only after watching the live stream and completing an online evaluation form.
No CME credits will be available for watching on demand.
ESOR Foundation Course
MEDICAL IMAGING INFORMATICS/3D | Online | March 22, 2023 | 12:30 – 18:00 CET
There is a gap in the education program of radiology professionals in post-processing of medical images and use of additive manufacturing in Planning surgeries and training.
Segmentation of medical images, anatomical models & 3D printing, and virtual technologies are transforming the healthcare industry, with an increasing role in clinical training, surgical planning, personalised medicine and medical imaging research. The American College of Surgeons published in 2016 that 3D planning is revolutionizing the surgical planning of complex surgeries and the education of new residents.
After acquiring a medical image, structures of interest need to be segmented. It can be then used to create patient-specific, highly accurate computer models of organs and tissue. Widespread use of these technologies in healthcare is being fairly slow due to the complexity involved in these software tools and to professionals’ underdeveloped digital skills. More multidisciplinary knowledge and teams are needed. This course fosters the development of multidisciplinary skills in order to allow digital transformation of healthcare system through 3D planning & printing and visualization techniques. The course will contribute to develop the radiological european training curriculum, filling in the demand in hospitals due to the current gap in knowledge.
The main goal of the course is to offer theoretical training material to allow the acquisition of knowledge to perform post-processing of the radiological image, applied to the 3D image, additive manufacturing and virtual technologies in clinical daily routine and research.
- to acquire basic knowledge in the field of additive manufacturing in healthcare
- to learn about the relevant technical standards in 3D imaging and 3D printing (DICOM, STL, …)
- to understand the potential value of 3D in surgery planning and medical training
- to become familiar with the relevant rules (MDR, etc.) and regulations regarding biomodels and medical devices (cutting guides, …)
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
3D in healthcare: actual revolution and future perspectives
A. Valls Barcelona/ES
– To understand what is image postprocessing and additive manufacturing technologies and how they are applied to healthcare.
The radiologist perspective: thinking in 3D (from volume rendering to STL)
F. Zuccarino, Barcelona/ES
– To discuss the principal 3D post-processing techniques.
The surgeon perspective: what surgeons need from 3D imaging
F. Thieringer, Basel/CH
– Identify the key benefits and limitations of 3D imaging in surgical procedures.
Surgery tools design
J. L. Lindhardt, Aarhus/DK
– Knowledge gap identification
3D beyond surgical planning: research landscape in medical 3D Printing
C. Hopfner, Munich/DE
– To get an overview of current research projects in 3DP @ POC in Europe
Knowing the rules: MDR and Quality control applied to 3D Printing
F. Moscato, Vienna/AT
– Learn one possible medical 3D printing setting for hospital implementation.