Application for 2021 November 15, 2020 - February 15, 2021
How to apply
To apply for the programme, applicants must send an e-mail to the ESOR Office and provide the following documents as PDF files:
- Letter of motivation including previous experience in the field
- ESOR Curriculum Vitae Template* (DOC)
- Letter(s) of recommendation (by the head of department of the current hospital/University)
- Certificate of recent board certification from the relevant authority
- Language certificate
- List of five most important/relevant publications in international peer reviewed journals
- List of references to be contacted if necessary
- ESR membership proof
- Copy of passport
*Each candidate is required to submit the provided ESOR CV. Any application with another CV will not be considered.
Please note that only complete applications can be considered. To ensure equal opportunities candidates should apply only to institutions outside of their country of residence/work.
The candidate will be asked to provide additional documents to the training centre for administrative purposes. The fellow is further asked to take care of his/her working permit and insurance. Please note that he/she is responsible for his/her visa. The training centre will help the fellow with all organisational details.
To apply for or renew your ESR membership please click here.
Clinical/Research Fellowship in Paediatric Imaging
University Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina/Greece
Number of available places
During 2021/2022 one place will be available for a recently board-certified radiologist, who is a Full or Corresponding member of ESR.
- The exchange programme applies to radiologists within the first three years after certification
- The candidate should wish to become a fellow or subspecialise in paediatric imaging.
- He/She should have excellent knowledge of paediatric imaging as well as basic skills in image interpretation.
- He/She should also have an interest and basic skills in medical database handling and scientific presentations and publications.
- Knowledge of the English language (level C1) is a definite prerequisite.
- The successful candidate will have to make himself/herself available for an interview via Skype.
- ESR membership fees for 2020 or 2021 must be settled.
Please note that each candidate can only apply for one ESOR fellowship programme and one of the available topics at once.
Duration and funding
The fellowship will start on November 1st, 2021 and will last for 12 months. The fellow has to ensure his/her availability for the exact period stated as any postponement is not possible. The chosen fellow will receive consideration in form of free accommodation for the duration of the fellowship as well as free meals during work days and week-ends during the training period in the hospital cafeteria provided by the University Hospital of Ioannina. No additional financial grant or salary will be provided.
By the end of the year the fellow should have competency in: a) recognizing normal and abnormal radiologic findings and composing an age-appropriate differential diagnosis, b) planning and performing radiologic procedures skilfully, with attention to patient well-being while minimizing radiation dose; determining appropriateness of imaging procedures and efficiently integrate them into the patient’s ongoing clinical care through consultation and coordination with other caregivers, c) presenting a competent, concerned, compassionate professional image; respecting diversity, d) communicating effectively with mentors, radiology and clinical colleagues, co-workers, e.t.c., e) critically evaluating current methods and published research to improve radiology practice; identifying personal limits in knowledge and expertise, set learning and improvement goals, identifying and performing appropriate learning activities, integrating evaluations and suggestions for change.
Research activities are mandatory. The fellow will master a broad spectrum of image analysis methods and their software tools with emphasis on voxel-based analysis, group analysis using standard atlases, automatic segmentation techniques, modelling of functional imaging etc. The fellow should be able to select patients, organise and monitor the examinations, collect and analyse the data, under supervision, including demographics and other clinical data and write a scientific article. Collaborations with other physicians, physicists and engineers will be provided.
A detailed individual programme is determined at the beginning of the fellowship in consultation with the fellow.
After successful completion of the one-year training the trainee receives a certificate from ESR/ESOR and University Hospital of Ioannina. In order to receive this, the fellow must present a written report about his/her work and activities during the programme.