Topic and training centre
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York (6 months)
Education in partnership with
Visiting Scholarship Programme USA
** Due to the ongoing pandemic related to the spread of the coronavirus, this programme will not be on offer in 2021. **
The ESOR Visiting Scholarship Programme (USA) offers qualified trainees the opportunity to get to know another training environment in the USA and to kick off an interest for subspecialisation in radiology. During three or six months of training the scholars will be provided with a structured, modular introduction to different subspecialties and will be supervised by a specialised tutor in a pre-selected, highly esteemed academic training centre in USA.
The programmes are aimed at residents in their 3rd, 4th or 5th year of training.
These scholarships are kindly supported by the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre (MSKCC).
Number of available scholarships
During 2020 two scholarships are available at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. One scholarship will take place in spring and will have a duration of six months and the second scholarship will occur in autumn and last for three months.
1. These scholarships apply to residents in their 3rd, 4th or 5th year of training in radiology who desire to get the benefit of a mentored modular training of a specific subspecialised topic in radiology.
2. Fulfilment of the training curriculum from at least the first two years of residency is required, verified by the head of the department. Competence in producing a radiological report and communicating with clinicians and patients is appreciated, as well as knowledge of the principles of administration and management applied to a clinical department with multi-disciplinary staff and high-cost equipment.
3. Previous exposure in the chosen field of interest, including basic knowledge of imaging methods, indications for imaging and clinical expectations, is advantageous.
4. Applicants must be proficient in English.
5. ESR membership fees for 2020 must be settled.
Applicants who were selected for this programme or the Visiting Scholarship Programme Europe in the past cannot be considered again.
Duration of scholarships and funding
The training will start in the first and second half of the year and last for six months (spring) and three months (autumn). The successful applicant will receive a grant by the training centre. The training itself is offered for free.
The programme offers a structured modular training in oncologic imaging with a strong research focus. The scholar will participate in a subspecialty research project under the direct supervision of a faculty mentor. The scholar will also have the opportunity to observe case readout sessions with trainee and faculty radiologists, and to attend a variety of didactic lectures and disease management conferences, all with a focus in oncologic imaging. Health insurance will be provided.
After completion of the training programme, the resident receives a certificate from ESR/ESOR. In order to receive this, the scholar must present a written report about his/her work and activities during the programme.